I will show you different ways how to troubleshoot and fix your wireless or Bluetooth headphone not charging issues, I already faced such an issue before with my Bluetooth headset and fixed it but since I am trying to take all possible causes behind such a problem I decided to type this tutorial so you can solve this issue yourself easily no matter what your Bluetooth headphone type or brand is.
Possible Causes Behind Bluetooth Headset Not Being Charged?
- Faulty Battery: The rechargeable batteries in your wireless headphone might be defected by the manufacture so if this is the first time you are trying to charge your headphone you could think of this possible cause.
- Long Time Batteries Not Being Charged: If your Bluetooth headphone was kept for a very long time without charging it this could reduce the battery life or drive it to death this is what is called Over Discharged, so maybe if this is the case you should also put this possibility in mind.
- Faulty Charging Cables: Bluetooth charging cables also commonly the reason behind the batteries not being charged well or not being charged at all, you should expect that as well.
- Faulty Charging Ports: This is a very common reason behind Bluetooth headset batteries not being charged, sometimes we think that the charging cable has defected but unfortunately, the charging port or socket that the charging cable is connected to has physical damage.
How To Fix My Bluetooth Headphone Not Charging Issue?
Since there is no specific way to solve your Bluetooth charging issue because the reasons behind the Batteries not being charged are many, I am guiding you below on what to do if you ever faced this issue by taking general predictions and troubleshooting steps which mostly one of them will solve your headphone not charging batteries problem:
- Check Your Computer Status: If you are charging your wireless headphone by your computer via the USB charging cable you need to be sure that your PC/laptop is turned ON if your PC/laptop turned OFF then there will be no power source to charge your Bluetooth battery 😜. If your computer status changed to hibernating the charging will not work properly.
- An indirect connection such as via a USB hub: Charging will not be working properly.
- Try Charging Using Wall Faceplate Power Source: Try this option after trying different USB ports on your PC just to be sure whether an issue exists with your computer USB port.
- Check the entry points (headphones and power source): Whether it is clear of any debris or dirt, as this could prevent clear communication between the two devices.
- Check that the USB is correctly inserted: Into the headphones and power source ports.
- Try Different USB Charging Cable: If you have another USB cable that is suitable to connect to your Bluetooth charging port just to clarify whether the issue is from your current charging cable.
- Check your headphone’s charging port: Make sure that the charging port is function properly and not loose or damaged, maybe inside the headset it is broken and this commonly happens especially if your headphone is not branded by using this port every time you are charging it the port might get broken from inside. (Learn how to fix the Bluetooth charging port Micro USB)
- Keep the Bluetooth headphone connected to the charging source: If your headset hasn’t been charged and used for a very long time (over-discharged condition), most likely you will not sense a charging indication in the battery, thus you need to keep the Bluetooth headphone connected to the charging power source for a long time you might see the battery is beginning to charge again.
- Ambient temperature exceeds the charging temperature range: If you are charging your headphone battery within an environment temperature of more than the charging temperature range of 5 °C – 35 °C (41 °F – 95 °F) then this could be the reason why it is not being charged.
- For Logitech gaming headphone style: If it is showing a solid amber light all the time does not pulse, it doesn’t turn off, and not being charging anymore. A simple trick might make your day, while plugged in, rapidly turn the unit on and off over and over again. somehow it tricks the little brain to reset itself after a few 10’s on/offs. the headset will start charging and connects like normal.
- Maybe You Are Having Different Problem: You might be having a different problem where the battery is fully charged but the headset is not working (To learn more check this STEP).
Headphones won’t turn on even after charging? what to do? is my battery dead?
If you discovered that your wireless headset’s battery seems dead then you need to double-check that before taking an action by following the below:
– Plug the device into a computer.
– Allow it to be recognized by the computer.
– Your device should be out of programming mode.
– Re-pair your device
Facts about Headphones Batteries
- Normally the headphones use lithium-ion rechargeable batteries.
- The first time charging new batteries should be at least 8 continuous hours even if the battery shows it is charged, the first time you use it you should consume all charged capacity.
- Around 4 hours is the time required for charging the empty battery to its full capacity.
- While you are charging the Bluetooth headset and the battery keeps on getting high temperature more than 35 °C (95 °F) and not being charged properly every time then you need to replace the battery.
- The battery may quickly be depleted if your Bluetooth headset is not being used for a long time, however, after a few recharges the battery life will improve.
- Avoid exposing your Bluetooth headset to temperature extremes, direct sunlight, sand, moisture, dust or mechanical shock as this will reduce the lifetime and/or performance of its battery.
- To avoid over-discharge battery status while storing your wireless headphone for a long time, charge the battery to its full capacity once every 6 months.
- The lifetime of any rechargeable batteries around 500 times (full charges / full discharges) so if you feel the life of the built-in rechargeable battery drops significantly during normal usage, this means the battery should be replaced with a new one.
- Do not keep your headphone batteries always-on charging after it is fully charged cause this will reduce the batteries’ performance lifetime.
My headphone’s Micro USB Charging port is broken
If you’ve checked all the descriptions and points/steps above and still your wireless headphone is not charging then you need definitely to check the Micro USB charging port of it and fix it accordingly as below:
The micro USB’s miniature connectors are probably broken off or there is a crack in their solder that makes the disconnection with the circuit board hence accordingly there will be no possibility to charge the Bluetooth headset battery. (Please refer to the below image to see the micro USB from the board side inside of the headphone)
To fix this you need to take the headset apart by removing the cushion pad away and open all screws to see the circuit board just like in the image above and solder the connecting 5 pins back (or you can simply without using any additional solder just use the soldering tool to melt the existing pins solder thus will link back the pins to the board and close the crack.
Apple Bluetooth Headset Is Not Charging
APPLE HEADSET (AIRPODS)
Sometimes Apple headset (AirPods) facing some issues with charging the base of it, as you know, AirPods are designed to charge when you put them in the charging case and the idea is to hold an amount of charge that is suitable for multiple times of charging the AirPods. And while the base acting as a power bank for the AirPods rarely it doesn’t show any light to come on when trying to charge the AirPods with or without the iPhone in the dock or even while charging it separately by connecting the charging cable directly to the wall power.
- Now to solve this matter you can follow the below simple steps:
- Check the Lightning cable from end to end whether you find any type of damage or small cut.
- Check the Lightning cable USB side for any dirt inside of it that you might find, if there is some dirt you need to clean it this could be the cause of the issue.
- Inspect the Lightning cable the Lightning connector side for any damage or dirt, oil…etc clean it if you find any (So far does your issue resolved?)
- Inspect the Lightning socket on the AirPod base whether it is broken or dirty inside, try to clean it if it’s not clean.
- If you are using the wireless charging base that charges the AirPod case, try to charge your iPhone using it and see whether the iPhone is being charged or not. if it is not charged this means the issue is in the wireless charging base.
- Inspect the wireless charging base cable for any damage.
BEATS SOLO HEADSET
Beats solo headset models have sometimes charging issues and difficulties as some people are complaining but for this kind of headset comes from Apple, I found some workaround to solve it.
- Hold down the power and volume down buttons for 10 seconds to reset it.
- If the first step did not do the job hold down power and volume up for over 10 seconds while plugging it into a known good power source and cord (The charging lights should come on and starts blinking)
Logitech Wireless Headset Not Charging Issue
Most charging problems related to Logitech wireless headphones brand are related to the micro USB connector that charges the headset battery, the issue is basically happening because of the normal daily usage for the headset and to be more accurate the issue happened when the user is connecting the charging cable to the micro USB port on the headset and removes it when finished charging.
This action of charging the headset overtime causes a slight defect inside the micro USB 5-pins that are soldered to the headset circuit board, and the only method to fix that issue at home is by dismantling the speaker piece that is holding the micro USB charging port in it and fix it as described above (Click on My headphone’s Micro USB Charging port is broken)
Sennheiser Wireless Headset Not Being Charged Issue
Most of the previous points and details above are applied to any wireless headphones out there including Sennheiser wireless headphones but still there is some additional information related to this product since it has its own specs and design so better to read the below info in case of facing some difficulties charging their Sennheiser wireless products.
Why my Sennheiser headphones are not charging (intermittent charging light)?
- When the headphones are brand new, charging light on the transmitter may appear intermittently which is normal, hence it will take a few charging cycles for the charging electronics in the headphones and the transmitter to get into sync and the issue will resolve itself.
Headphones occasionally develop a glitch (where the LED indicator light and the electronics inside the circuit board) get out of sync, so the light will either not come on “as expected” or “remain lit” after fully charging or be “intermittent”
Wireless or Bluetooth headphones, in general, are using the same technology which is Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries but differ in make and other specs, so batteries issues causes will be the same but indicators and connectors will be different for each brand or model. What I need you to understand is no matter what brand your wireless headphone is, simply try to investigate using the steps I provided above from the beginning then according to the complexity or difficulties you are facing following the next points.
Share this article from below if you believe people need to know about it … 🙂